Monday, January 17

Ray: my uncomfortable, yet fantastic, musical lover.

Last night I went to Northampton to see Ray LaMontange play at the Iron Horse. The New England shows have been sold out for weeks now, I was so disappointed I couldn't get tickets to see him. I mostly wanted to see him in Maine, considering that was where he began and was discovered. There were no tickets for either of this three shows. As a final hope, I went to the website of the radio station that I first heard Trouble, thinking there might be a giveaway or contest that I would have a 1 in 1,000 chance of winning. There was no contest, but there was an online ticket swap and there happen to be a girl giving away two tickets to Northampton. Being the day before the weekend, I thought I'd be lucky to get these. But it worked out, I was going to go see Ray LaMontagne, my new kind of lover.

And he did not disappoint. Ray was better than he sounded on his album; his words sucked me in, his raspy voice left me breathless. I enjoyed this show more than I could express to you, Ray LaMontagne is a rare talent. He played Hannah and I thought this was a reason to be alive, it was that beautiful. Part of his appeal is he just woke up one morning and decided he wanted to learn how to play the guitar and sing, and he not only did it, but become incredible at it. What makes him rare is that he was inspired by a song, not inspired by fame and screaming fans. On stage he was nervous and sweet, attempting humor that I found surprising. The nervous stroking of his hair above his left eye did not distract, but only added more human appeal to the musical lover that I've conjuured him to be. I spoke to him after, to thank him for such a great show. With his hair-stroking and quiet thank you, I tried to come up with something profound to say, to let him know how much he has effected me. I'm not sure what I said, but I remember him so clearly saying, "Your boyfriend looks uncomfortable." And if that wasn't enough, I had to say, "Pardon?" He repeated it and went to shake my hand goodbye and said "Nice to meet you." I said the same and walked back to K, who had been standing directly behind me while I spoke to him.

It took me a minute to realize what had just happened. I'm hoping it was the whole situation he wasn't used to yet, not that he thought I was hitting on him or something. It was strange indeed. I'm pretty sure he wasn't prepared for this. He just wanted to play music.

Seriously, if you have not heard him play yet, please do. It was an incredible night. I think it may have made my year..and it's only January.

1 comment:

dammit sami said...

Aw! Northampton! Aw! The Iron Horse!
I saw Jump! Little Children there once and totally tried to put the moves on the hot, hot man with the slinky hips, who I hear is actually gay. What can you do? I don't like JLC anymore anyway. So there. But I do love Northampton. And I am jealous times infinity that you get to just go there. Next time you do, you should pop over to Ye Olde Watering Hole for the BEST screwdriver in New England. Fresh sqeezed orangey goodness, I kid you not.
Aw! Northampton!