Wednesday, March 23

I'm already there, just don't tell my boss.

The week before a vacation, I might as well not even show up to work. I am useless. Mentally, I'm already in the hot tub in North Carolina with my fellow girls sipping on whiskey and Coke.

I'm going back to my college town next week with 8 other girls (and two very brave men) to stay in a rented cabin in the woods by a waterfall. I can only imagine what types of things will occur in this cabin and in town. I have never had more fun than the times I am with these particular girls. They are amazing individuals, each bringing to the group their personal qualities that would leave us feeling lop-sided and dysfunctional if one were missing*. One spring while we were still in school, we spent a week in a family cottage in Nag's Head. I convinced everyone to run around naked on the beach after dark one night. It's exhilerating and releasing; I've been a long-time fan of the naked-beach-running that actually started in the Outerbanks, so what an appropriate place to introduce others to it's freeing capabilities. I do remember photos being taken, though. Hm...I'm wondering where those are. If I ever plan on running for president, I'm sure that's when they will resurface. The next year we spent a week at a condo in Grand Cayman. I have never in my entire life had a vacation where I did absolutely-fucking-nothing. We did nothing. We woke up, stepped out the front door onto the beach and lounged the rest of the day. Occasionally, one or two would go snorkeling, but it didn't last long...soon they'd be back in their chairs snoozing under the canopy or baking in the sun. It was deliciously guilt-ridden, and I loved every second of it. Trust me, when you're only essential decision of the day is whether or not to mix the cocktails before noon or wait until the mid-morning nap has commenced, the vacation lasts much longer. Forget sight-seeing and adventures, this was a true vacation.

Now we are attempting Round 3 of the estrogen-gatherings. This time, it's been years since we've been together, and I can only imagine what is going to happen. I'm pretty sure there will be no naked-beach-running, considering we opted for mountains and waterfalls this time, but I can almost bet on there being nakedness involved at some point. (No, I will not give you the address of our cabin. And no, we will not post pictures. Well, ok, we might. I did, afterall, learn how to post pictures on this thing finally!)

Girls, I can't wait to see you all. It has been way too long, and I'm in need of a little craziness in my excruciatingly boring life. Watch out mountains of North Carolina, you may have let us all go, but we're coming back with vengeance. See you in a week, gals!

-------

*Technically, one is missing. But we're going to balance out the dysfunctional-feeling with plenty of alchohol; which will, in turn, make us more dysfunctional, but definitely a more tolerable dysfunction.

1 comment:

dammit sami said...

Now you're all gone and I'm alone. WAH. I hope you're enyjoying yourselves.
Really, I mean it.
(Anybody want a peanut?)